Saturday 23 February 2013

The Ultimate Conundrum: Book Sorting

That dreaded moment when you realise that you no longer have enough space for all your books...

As some of you already know, I recently (aka two weeks ago) invested in a career change.  (Translation:  I quit my job so that I could focus on doing what I enjoy)  However, with such momentous life changes come big decisions.

I am - for about a month - having to move back home, and the place I'm moving to after probably won't have space for all my books.

And therein lies the conundrum.

My book collection is infamous amongst my social circles.  Whittled down from around 3000 tomes last summer, it still takes up at least two good-sized bookshelves.  And yes, that is after having given 15 binbgs worth of books to charity.

So you see my dilemma.  Recently I bought a kindle (which I LOVE btw - fully converted from kindle-hater to kindle-lover) and so I can get rid of some of the duplicates and many of the books I now buy, unless academic, I buy in ebook format.  And there are classics and whole series of books that I simply can't part with.  But that still leaves me with a large surplus of books.

My parents - as well meaning as they are - suggest getting rid of my 'trashy novels'.  As an aspiring 'trashy novel' writer, I have tried not to take much umbrage with this, but being the proud owner of the entire RIVA line (my favourite Mills&Boon series) I simply can't imagine it.  Where else am I to find the research for my own romance/erotic novel - outside of the bedroom of course!

This Chick Lit Aficionado is well and truly stumped.  If you hear wails of despair, originating from the South London area, think of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment