Saturday 27 April 2013

Book Review: How to Survive When One Twin Dies

When people ask me why I started blogging, I always feel that there are two separate, an yet inextricably intertwined answers.  The first is that I love to write, and following quitting my job I had decided that I needed a creative outlet.  The other is because of Vicky.

My friend Vicky Burley is fab.  She's a strong independent woman, fantastic mother and such a supportive friend, so I was delighted when she told me about her new enterprise The Loving Parent.  Inspired by her wish to talk about parenting from the heart, and engage with the small issues and celebrations of parenthood, it's gone from strength to strength with over a thousand followers on Twitter in a startlingly short amount of time.  (Follow her on @TheLovingParent)

And then shw announced the publication of a book.

Anyone who knows Vicky well, knows of how she lost one of two twins during her pregnancy a number of years ago, and How to Survive When One Twin Dies recounts the journey that she went through.

I read it in one sitting on the way to work the other day - this would have been a disaster, only I'm pretty lucky that commuters don't notice anyone else around them.  So there I was, sitting on the train, the occasional tear making it's lonely way down my cheek as I read one of the most heartbreaking, yet uplifting stories I've ever come across.

I cannot even begin to imagine how hard it must have been to have to be told that one of your two twins would die, but Vicky writes about it with wistful tenderness and in a way that celebrates the brief existence of tiny Coran.

In some ways, I find it hard to explain how I felt when reading it, but as a woman and as a someday-mother I'd like to thank her for sharing her story.  You should go read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment