Tuesday 13 August 2013

'The Right Mr Wrong', or Mills & Boon 'Sliding Doors'-style


"Will you marry me?"



Isn’t that the question every girl dreams of hearing? Victoria certainly used to think so. And safe, steady Oliver seemed perfect husband material. But that was until she met Liam, his rebellious, scorchingly hot best friend. Suddenly Victoria’s feeling things - crazy lust-fueled things! - she’s never felt before. But for the wrong guy…
Then Oliver goes down on one knee, and it’s decision time - head or hormones? Victoria’s about to discover the truth about guys like Liam - once you go bad you never go back!
I’m about to give away a massive spoiler: 

She says yes. 

And she says no.

Before I get regaled with emails bewailing this horrific betrayal of my readers’ trust, I’d like to point out that it’s alright – that’s the whole point of The Right Mr Wrong.  Actually, I’m really rather enamoured of the concept of a Mills & Boon version of Sliding Doors.

We spend so much time post-break ups reassuring each other that ‘if it was meant to be, it would have happened’ that it’s actually refreshing to look at a novel that considers this.  Is Victoria fated to be with Liam?  Therefore, in the long run, does her answer to Oliver even matter – life will play out the way it’s meant to.

But big existential debates aside, I really like it.  I like the fact that both Victorias – the softer artistic Victoria and the more sassy, uber-organised Vivi – have a depth to their characters that means that the short prologue is all the preamble needed as an introduction.  They have the independence that they lacked the first time round, making it easy for us to identify with them as we see echoes of our own career struggles mirrored in theirs.

And as for Liam Wilson…well let’s just say that he is broodily handsome enough to make Victoria swoon and me fan myself with my copy of the novel on an airplane crammed with crying babies and grumpily greying businessmen.

 
Mills & Boon Boy 1: 
Matt B (aka The Booth)

Reaction to Photograph Request: 
Acquiescence followed by a genuine request for a Mills & Boon recommendation…  I, of course, pointed him in the direction of Modern Tempted.

4 comments:

  1. Clearly The Booth is reading the sex scene very carefully . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right! For some reason it seems to be some sort of power that the Mills & Boon Boys have - the power to open a book in the middle of the sauciest sex scene possible.

      Delete
    2. lol - love the M&B boys! And it is so true - flick the book open and it always falls to the hottest scene... perhaps someone has bent the spine!?!? ;)
      And I'm so glad you enjoyed both versions of Victoria and Liam's story :)

      Delete
    3. Well, considering that I was reading it on the plane up to Edinburgh beforehand, there is a distinct possibility that the spine might have been bent... ;)

      And I really did; they were both utterly lovely!

      Delete