Wednesday 19 February 2014

Interviewing Kara Marshall


Kara Marshall won Mills & Boon's #TemptedToWrite competition with her story Law and Disorder.  I caught up with her to find out the story behind the story...

What made you submit your story for #TemptedToWrite?  Are you a die-hard Modern Tempted/Harlequin KISS fan already, or did you hear about it online?

I do love Tempted/ Kiss books and I started to read them when they were the RIVA line. However I did come across the competition online and because I needed a good kick up the backside to focus on my writing I decided to enter! I'd already started the story so I polished it off and sent it in on a whim hoping for some feedback at the most . The rest as they say is history.

What was the inspiration for your story?

The inspiration for the story came when I was out walking my lovely dog Jessie in the rain. I was listening to Carrie Underwoods song 'Before he cheats ' and Carly just popped into my head! 

All the best heroines, especially those in Modern Tempted narratives, are strong and sassy.  Yours is a police sergeant.  Why do you think it's important to write women who have careers and drive?

I think it's really important for women to have careers and drive and to do stuff for themselves. Having your own independence is important especially when life throws you a curveball. And also just because a woman is a police officer, a doctor or a lawyer doesn't mean she doesn't experience the same heartbreak and emotions as everyone else. 

Ben Hastings is scorchingly hot...is fiction founded in fact?

Yes, unfortunately Ben Hastings is merely a figment of my clearly over-active imagination. I work in a big, busy health centre and there are NO male staff who evenly remotely resemble him. And believe me I've looked (Sorry boys!)

How did you feel when you realised that you'd won?

When I found out I'd won I was speechless (very unusual for me), thrilled, shell-shocked and excited and humbled to be given such a great opportunity. Everyone has been so supportive and friendly, I'm really lucky!

Have you any other novels that you're currently working on at the moment?

Yes I'm working on two other stories at the moment but it's early days yet and I seriously need to start increasing my word count. I think it might be time to stop celebrating and start writing pronto!

Congratulations to Kara for her fantastic story!  You can find Law and Disorder on the Mills & Boon website.

photo credit: Slaff via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment