Friday 14 February 2014

One Year and Counting...


Last year I reset the clock on Valentine's Day.

At the time, I was in a job that I did enjoy at times, but was incredibly stressful.  I had multiple panic attacks most days, I was incredibly anxious and I wasn't doing any of the things I loved.

So I quit.

On Valentine's Day last year, I decided to stop dreaming my life, and instead live my dreams.  I went in, handed in my notice, thanked all my colleagues for their support and went home to cook a meal for some of my best friends.

I then looked at the things that I wanted to accomplish, and instead of putting them off and off and off, went out and did something about.

Today I'm in a job that I enjoy, but that finishes at 5.  I have space in my life to do the things I love and I do them.

Today, I'm Romance and Erotica Reporter for For Books' Sake and divide my time for them on writing features (today's being on everyday objects as sex toys in literature), and reporting on new developments in the romance world.  In fact, not two hours ago I finished interviewing Samantha Ellis about her new book and how books can help shape the narratives of our lives.

I'm also affiliated with Mills & Boon, hosting #ModernTemptedDay on the 18th of every month, and also writing a monthly guestblog for them.

I've returned to my academic roots and am heading to Greece this summer to give a paper on the impact of the internet on portrayals of weddings.

So this year, Valentine's Day isn't just about love and romance (though I'm so happy to be spending it with my wonderful bf), it's about *corny alert* loving yourself.  I'm happier than I've ever been, and I've made it because of everyone's who's helped and supported me.

If you have a dream, follow it.  Life is way to short to waste time doing stuff that stresses you out or you don't really care about.

So this is my Valentine to myself.  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment