Wednesday 27 November 2013

Why I wish I were a better writer



I'm a writer; not by trade, but by heart.

For some reason there's something that just propels me to write - often continually, generally nonsensically.  Much of this gets enveloped into my blog, into every time I talk about life and love and my passion for other people's writing.

But essentially I wish I were a better writer.

There are times when I want to scream because I can't capture how I feel or what I want to say in words.  I'm envious of those novelists who can distill love into a paragraph or poets whose words hold a mirror up to how I feel.

Even song lyrics...I've spoken at length about crying over literature and films and music, but I this week it seems like I'm continually tripping over songs that say something so damn well that you can't help but ache.

And so this morning I found myself staring at my computer screen, knowing that I wanted to write (poetry no less), but simultaneously finding myself utterly blocked.  In some ways, the only cure for sumat like that, is sitting down at my piano and rehashing all the classical pieces that broke my heart when I learnt to play.  But, on the other hand, it feels like a bit of a wake-up call.

Wanting something doesn't mean you're going to get it.

Musings it is.


(Image by Cathrine IdsΓΈe)

No comments:

Post a Comment