Wednesday 13 March 2013

In the words of ole Blue Eyes: It's one of the greatest love songs ever written, and it never even says I love you.

Something in the way she moves,
Attracts me like no other lover.
Something in the way she woos me.
I don't want to leave her now,
You know I believe and how.

Somewhere in her smile she knows,
That I don't need no other lover.
Something in her style that shows me.
I don't want to leave her now,
You know I believe and how.

You're asking me will my love grow,
I don't know, I don't know.
Stick around, and it may show,
But I don't know, I don't know.

Something in the way she knows,
And all I have to do is think of her.
Something in the things she shows me.
I don't want to leave her now.
You know I believe and how.

There's something in the lyrics of that song that is deeply touching.  But which of us doesn't want to be cherished in such a way?  Which of us doesn't long to feel that way about someone else?

Chick Lit is often accused of being cliched and of not being realistic, but the love that we hope for and indeed see around us seems unrealistic.  Romance, and how you feel when you meet the right person, doesn't quite make sense.  There's just... 'something'.

And I think that it's important for there to be novels that reflect that indefinable 'something'.

No comments:

Post a Comment